Shift 7: From individual to brand
- For our grandparents: behave and be rewarded.
- For our parents: excel and be rewarded.
- For us: you are simply a resource. You must develop your own brand. You run your own business now.
In the New World of Work which is very, very different to that of our grandparents and increasingly remote from that of our parents we run our own business now. We understand that:
- We are as good as our efforts.
- There are no guarantees.
- Soft skills will always be needed and valued.
- There will be increasing numbers of commodity jobs. These will either be out-sourced or very low paid.
- There will always be a need for those for offer excellent value. And they will be well-paid.
- Few careers nor organisations can get it consistently right over prolonged periods. Be willing to re-invent.
- Think, read and act as a New Renaissance Man.
- Carry a note-book. Think, plan and build a sustainable career.
- Hang out with like-minded people. Not those who complain that their company is rubbish nor that the government should do more.
- Start today. Now, in fact.